Masjid Project Pictures
Islamic Centre of South Calgary (ICSC) has been operating out of a small, rented facility in a Queensland strip-mall since 2004 (At that time name of society was South Musallah Society). It can only accommodate approximately 85 people at a time. The Muslim population has almost doubled since 2005. Therefore, this facility is inadequate to fulfil the needs of the Muslim community.
Muslim Community from South Calgary had aspired to build a facility of their own where they could offer daily prayers, hold Friday and Eid Prayer Congregations, youth could assemble and community could benefit from Halaqas, Quranic / Islamic Education, and other community and interfaith activities.
In 2009, ICSC acquired approximately ten acre of land with a property in SE Calgary with the intent to develop the Islamic Centre of South Calgary. The site is located at 16555 – 104th Street SE. The land was situated outside city and no area structure plan existed, hence no construction could be undertaken without rezoning approval.
No one knew at that time the long, stepwise journey ICSC community was embarking on to make this project a reality. Al-Hamdulillah, today we have it rezones, with Development Permit and Building (Construction Permit) in hand as a result of persistent and tireless effort by the select team of people.
- MCC supports raising of funds for project working with community in Calgary as per South MCC representative commitment of $1 Million for our project.
- MCC/ New Project Committee finalizes a build option for completion of Design & Engineering, City Permitting approval for option, and contracts to start Construction.
- MCC/ New Project Committee start the construction execution of the Islamic center project
- Committee lead: Nisar Bhutto
- (1) MCC Project Growth Committee Lead – Wissam Akl
- (1) MCC district elected Director- Muzaffar Ahmad
- (1)Local District President- Current Farhan Khan
- (1) MCC Imam- Shaikh Fayaz Tilly
- (3 to5) Local District Community Member – Zahid Maqsood, Syed Kashif Haider, Nisar Bhutto